Wednesday, May 28, 2008

What's the big deal anyways?

Let me preface this with the following statement: I will not be among the hordes queueing up to see "Sex and the City" this weekend. The most compelling reason for why I have zero interest in seeing the movie is probably because I am neither A) a girl or B) a gay guy, which are the two biggest audiences of Sex and the City. However, I have an added motive: I just don't get it.

By it, I mean not just the show, but the phenomenon surrounding SATC. Bear in mind, I have actually watched a few episodes. My overall impression of the show is that it's the tv equivalent of a saccharine candy. Tempting and beautiful on the outside, but ultimately devoid of filling sweetmeat. The cinematography really captures the energy of Manhattan and there is an undeniable chemistry amongst the main actresses, but the show amounts to a one-trick pony for me: different ways to highlight how sexually liberated these women are.

There's nothing wrong with showing middle-aged women as sexually liberal as twentysomething men, but I fail to see the novelty.

In addition, the characters bore me because they are essentially caricatures of women everyone knows in real life. The blonde one is a sex-crazed cougar (dime a dozen on Rush St.), the redhead is career-driven (I went to Northwestern), and the brunette is a traditionalist (any girl back home). Every character arc involving Sarah Jessica Parker's friends revolves around something extending from those basic personality traits. Sarah Jessica Parker is that woman who doesn't really know what she wants and overanalyzes relationships. I also find it kind of weird that every friend has a different hair color like a crayon set.

My distinct lack of estrogen is probably the main problem, but myself and other straight guys will probably go into hiding this weekend like vampires. As for boyfriends dragged into watching the two and a half hour movie (yes, as long as a Bollywood movie) this weekend, may God have mercy on you.

No comments: