Friday, December 14, 2007

Crappercrombie




I've mentioned this before in a previous post, but I'd like to make it more explicit: Abercrombie and Fitch sucks. The first ,and last, time I stepped inside a store was when I was 14 or 15. And even then, I had the gumption to know what millions of kids my age didn't know: the clothes are low-quality and overpriced. Why do they sell jeans with holes in them already? I can buy a pair and use a razor myself if I was compelled. Everything is worn and tattered when you buy it, what's the point? When you buy something new, it should look new. I just don't get it. Please someone tell me.

What's with the ads too? Am I supposed to be coaxed into buying clothes from nude models? Those ads are disturbing.

More disturbing is their history of discrimination of minorities. Their ads make it clear: they are marketing to a white prepster audience. That's ok, though incompatible with a society that is one-third minority. But then they use that to market shirts that advertise Asian laundromats. These shirts say "Two Wongs make it white!" and other racially insensitive remarks. This is supposed to be a national, publicly traded company, bear in mind. Oh, and then what about how they put minority employees in the stockroom rather than let them be on the floor? Abercrombie got sued for that a few years ago apparently, though I guess I shouldn't be too surprised from this socially irresponsible company.

I thought I should spell it out because a lot of people ask me "Seriously, why do you hate Abercrombie so much?". I wouldn't dislike them so much if all they did was make crappy clothes, but I have a legitimate, ethical reason for not liking them as well. If I ever set foot again in one of their stores or *gasp* spend a dollar there, I may seriously self-implode.

No comments: