Saturday, February 9, 2008

Energized Youth

I just wanted to mention that perhaps the best thing to come out of these primaries is the record turnout of an often overlooked and apathetic segment of the population: twenty-somethings. It's genuinely surprising to see the energy of this group for the PRIMARIES! Some states have seen a quadrupling of the amount of young voters. That's insane.

I think there are two main reasons for this surge of young voters: 1) there's a lot at stake this election 2) Barack Obama. Number two cannot be stressed enough. In fact, young voters alone are the reason he eked out the win in Missouri. There's something special about this guy. This is not a one-hit wonder. He's a phenomenon. The rest of the nation is catching the same fever that we in Illinois have had for the last four years.

Number one is an important reason too. Partisanship is at an all-time high. There is a clear difference, it seems, between the Republican and Democratic fields. I mean, just consider the top two contenders in the Dem field : a black man and a woman. I didn't think I'd see this with my own two eyes for atleast a few more decades, but it's happened. And people of my generation are driving this change. So kudos to fellow millenials and continue this trend of involvement in future elections. For now however, let's focus on November.

No comments: