Sunday, February 17, 2008

Acceptable news alternative...for now

So a few posts back, I discussed my vehement disgust with CNN nowadays. I've always been hesitant to embrace the New York Times as my ready news source. It's the "liberal" paper out of touch with America's majority. However, lately, I've grown to appreciate the political op-eds and general quality of writing. I agree that it skews liberal, but honestly is there any such thing as an unbiased news source anymore? My conservative acquaintances always level that charge against the New York Times and the so-called "left-wing" media. I guess they're right....except for Bill O'Reilly, Rupert Murdoch, Hannity and Colmes, Fox News, Wall Street Journal, Joe Scarborough, Rush Limbaugh, Pat Buchanan, Dennis Miller...

Anyways, lately the Chicago area has been rocked by the NIU shootings. Suddenly, the safety of the college environment has been compromised. Can anything be done? One of my Republican friends suggests looser gun laws would be the solution. In other words, allowing students to arm themselves would allow students to fight back and kill a would-be shooter. So the solution is to make the classroom a Wild West saloon? I have to disagree.

The only solution that really works is more restrictive gun laws, I'm sorry. If our politicians weren't so far up the NRA's asses, they would realize this as well. Until then, we're just leaving ourselves more vulnerable to future incidents of the Virginia Tech, NIU, and Columbine ilk.

People say you can't say Europe is relatively safer because of more restrictive gun laws, but I beg to differ, when that seems to be the only differentiating factor. I really do agree with those mothers of the victims, and so should the rest of America in the year 2008.

No comments: