Thursday, August 23, 2007

Public Transport can sometimes be too public

One of my favorite parts of Chicago is the extensive public transport system. Between the El, Metra, and the buses, you don't need a car in this city. And with gas around $3.20 a gallon nowadays and parking such a pain, it's not advisable to even have the burden. Yes, I'm so dependent on the CTA that I'm willing to shell the 3 bucks if fare increased next month. Further, I have no idea what I'll do in Indy since they have such a shitty public transport system.

One niggling thing though about public things: they can be too public. You're in close quarters with other people, especially during rush hour. What am I supposed to do in the morning when the 50 year old lady next to me is drifting asleep and dangerously close to my shoulder? I HATE that! Plus, you get some real weirdos on the el. Just today, I was on the bus to community health and this guy comes on to the bus around chicago and halsted. Apparently I have a sign on me that says "psychoanalyze me" becuase that's what this dude did. He starts saying that I need to stop folding my arms; it shows I'm a selfish guy. I then said (with no hint of sarcasm mind you), "thanks for the psychotherapy, buddy."

This prompted the guy to then say I'm snobbish for being so rude. Oh, I guess passing judgment on a complete stranger whose just trying to get back to the lab because he has a shitload of analysis to do isn't a jackass type of thing to do. My bad. One other guy on this same bus route (watch out for the 66 on Chicago Ave., guys and gals) started saying out loud "I want me a white girl" and this high school girl talking about how much of a slut she was and wanted to break up with her bf by sending him a text message. I knew I was getting old when I realized how annoying high schoolers are.

Oh yeah, at the end of this day, I got soaked from head to toe in a Chicago monsoon while two shuttles decided to not come tonight to pick up students. A great day for the CTA.

No comments: